Ethics on Trial: The boardroom edition
April 20, 2017
5:00-6:00 PM Heavy appetizers
6:00-8:00 PM Trial, vote and discussion
scottish rite theater
2017 Ethics on Trial: The Boardroom Edition, Automation of the American Workforce
This year’s trial will explore the ethical dilemma of replacing traditionally human jobs with automated technology. The audience will consider the ethical dimensions (such as purpose of business, safety, dignity, efficiency, human rights, etc.) of “employing” robots or humans —a hot and relevant topic.
This year’s format will be somewhat different than years prior. Instead of a person on trial for a decision they already made, the backdrop will be the annual shareholder meeting of a recycling company. As an audience member, you will function as a company shareholder, and the audience vote will decide whether to automate these traditionally human jobs. Like in previous years, there will still be a moderated discussion after the vote.
Cast members will include:
- Ken Bird, Ed.D., President/CEO, Avenue Scholars Foundation
- Hal Daub, Partner, Husch Blackwell
- Kate Dodge, President, NEI Global Relocation
- Shonna Dorsey, Vice President of Tech Education, AIM Careerlink
- Ernie Goss, Ph.D., MacAllister Endowed Chair in Regional Economics, Heider College of Business, Creighton University
- Beverly Kracher, Ph.D., Executive Director, Business Ethics Alliance and Daugherty Chair of Business Ethics and Society, Heider College of Business, Creighton University
- Madeline Moyer, Assistant Vice President, Security National Bank
- Amy Rodie, Ph.D., Associate Professor, College of Business Administration, UNO
- Laurie Smith Camp, Chief United States District Judge
- Lacey Studnicka, Program Development Officer, Lutheran Family Services
financial vitality SPONSORs
Host and partner
Photo and Video Release: By attending a Business Ethics Alliance community program, you grant permission to record on photography film and/or video, pictures of your participation. All of the material photographed may be used, in any form, as part of any future publications, brochures, or other printed materials used to promote the Alliance, and further that such use shall be without compensation.